The Tea Gardens were one of the earliest attempts to provide facilities for the increasing number of visitors to Heysham, building on the success of Strawberry Gardens as a visitor attraction.. The name most often associated with the Tea Gardens at Greese Cottage is ‘Hadath’, largely obscured in the image to the right, but the name of the proprietor at the time of the photograph is A(nnie) Henderson with 1900 as the original establishment date of the business. Currently we estimate this building stood on the site of 423 on the Tithe Map (above right); it now no longer exists. This position was well above sea level and more secure than the shore cafés below which could be engulfed by high spring tides in stormy weather. By the middle of the century there were three separate Tea Gardens at each of 1, 3 and 5 Main Street, with Hadath’s at No.1, Cook’s at No.3 and Laytham’s at No.5. Peter Cook, who lived at No. 3 when younger, has been a valuable source of information on this topic contributing several of the photographs for this page. Hadath’s tea gardnes finally closed in 1989.
Annie Henderson, wife of Bruce, was born Annie Hadath in 1911. One of her brothers, Herbert (Bert), is recalled on Facebook recently as setting up the scales outside the Village Institute with which Jake Edmondson is best known. Hadath is an uncommon surname and therefore easy to trace; there were no Hadaths listed in the Tithe Schedule for Heysham in 1838.
Annie was the only daughter of John and Louisa Jane Hadath who were married at St Peter’s Church, Heysham, in July 1900. John is listed as a gardener. John was the eldest son of James and Agnes Hadath who were married at St Mary’s, Lancaster, in December 1874. (Records from the Lancashire Online Parish Clerk Project) The earliest date for James, a shoemaker, being in Heysham is estimated as 1888; he was born in Cartmel. We are currently not sure which of these two Hadaths (John or his father, James) started the tea gardens.
Mrs Lund’s Tea Rooms were started at No.3 in the early 1930s; the black notice on the wall to the right of the steps (photo above right) says just this. Prior to this No.3 was the village post office. You can see all the visitors on the shore and the end of one of the shore cafés. Mrs Lund was Peter Cook’s great aunt and in due course his mother carried on that business. At first the rooms were in the house and later moved into the garden in front of the house and adjacent to Hadath’s Tea Gardens at No.1. They were then Cooks’ Tea Gardens’ and later they also acquired Laytham’s Tea Gardens which were at No.5. Peter’s father is pictured right in their Tea Gardens
Eileen Dent tells us in The Heysham Peninsula that the Laytham family moved into No. 5 in about 1916. We do not know the date when Laytham’s Tea Gardens started.