On the right of this early 20th century photograph is the 1860 Rectory after refurbishment by the first of the ‘Royds Rectors’ John Royds. This building was demolished about 1960 and replaced by the present modern building standing further back to the south. The building behind the four beech trees (now 3) was the rectory stables, now St Peter’s Church Hall.
The first rectory on the same site was, according to local historian Eileen Dent, built by William Bushell, Rector in the early 18th century. Prior to this date it is generally accepted that Greese Cottage was the rectory. It is sometimes referred to as The Old Rectory. On the 1838 Tithe Map one can see several buildings on the site.
The Heysham Rectory Auxiliary Hospital (one of many in the UK) is referred to by David Flaxington in his History of Heysham. He writes: