In response to an approach from HHA, Dave Harris, who has access to this archive, has sent us some maps dating from 1897. We also much appreciate the comments and new information from Reg Bond, also of Derby but his home town is Morecambe. The plan below left shows the land shaded pink which the Midland Railway acquired iin addition to the line of the railway itself partly for the Middleton Road (‘Lane’ on the map) Station and partly to construct a cutting through higher ground to the west of the bridge. (Ignore the line down the centre - it is where the two pieces of the map join.).
The plan also shows what seems to be an encampment of huts on the site of the present Trumacar Infant and Community School. Was this to accommodate the navvies used employed in the construction of the railway line and the short lived Middleton Road Station?
To the right of the plan is a section of the Ordnance Survey 6 inch to the mile 1915 map with Middleton Lane and bridge down the right hand side. To the east of the bridge can be seen approaches to the station from either side of the bridge and short platforms aliongside the railway line. In the centre of the map the contours indicate how higher land necessitated a cutting for the railway. The higher ground can be seen in the left hand photograph at the tiop of the page.