Heysham Hall was built in 1839, from which the the original Hall was known as Heysham Old Hall. It was built by Thomas Rawsthorne and his wife on the site of an older dwelling, The Grange, which had been the home of the de Moleyne family. A Thomas Rawsthorne was the owner of Heysham "Old" Hall and there was also a Lancaster solicitor with the same name. There is no evidence that these were all the same person - but that is the most likely assumption!

Thomas Rawsthorne of Heysham Hall died on 27th November 1854 and is buried in grounds of St Peter's Church, along with other family members. There is no further mention of Heysham Hall in David Flaxington's The History of Heysham until 1897, when construction of Heysham Harbour began:

Heysham Hall had been occupied by the Grafton Family, and Heysham Tower by the Cawthras,until the building of the harbour began, then both properties were used by the railway authority as hotels.

The next mention made by Flaxington takes to into the 20th century:

Heysham Hall was bought three month later (in May 1922) by Mr Goulden of the Grafton Hotel, Morecambe, although whatever plans he may originally have had for the property are not known. (The Grafton, situated on the corner of SKipton Street, later became the Savoy.)


Heysham Hall was partly demollished in 1933 and turned into flats by Alan Robinson and Sons on behalf of Mr Shackleton, who used stonework from the Hall to build a row of cottages in Smithy Lane.


Higher Heysham then and now - mapMap showing location of Heysham Hall alongside 2024 Open Streetmap of the same area (National Library of Scotland)